THURSDAY, JULY 2, 2020
6:00 - 8:00 PM CDT
Unity Rally Against Racism
On the anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, three of the oldest civil rights organizations, the NAACP, LULAC, and the Houston Area Urban League, are coming together to host a Unity Rally Against Racism in the United States.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 enforced the constitutional right to vote, empowered the U.S. district courts to provide relief against discrimination in public accommodations, authorized the Attorney General to protect constitutional civil rights in all public places and public education, extended the Commission on Civil Rights to prevent discrimination in federally assisted programs, and established a Commission on Equal Employment Opportunity.
While we have come a long way, the murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Rayshard Brooks, and countless other victims compel us to seek new enforcements in the Civil Rights Act to ensure the life, liberty, and freedom of all people.
- Date: Thursday, July 2, 2020
- Time: 6:00pm to 8:00pm virtual rally
- Event RSVP online here.
- Honorary Chairs: Domingo Garcia, Emmitt Smith, and Sen. Royce West
- Hosts: Gary Bledsoe, NAACP Texas State Conference and Judson Robinson III, Houston Area Urban League
- Remarks from: Sen. Royce West, Emmitt Smith, Michelle Carter, and other distinguished guests and celebrities
- Music and artist performance by: Lola Wilson